Animals deserve a cozy place to spend the cold nights. But, what if that cozy place is your roof? Rodents, birds, bats, and squirrels are just a few of the animals out there that like to live in roofs. The problem is that they can cause a lot of damage to your roofing system. The wiring, trim, and insulators can all become damaged. Not to mention, wild animals can spread diseases and infections to your family.
Luckily, there are a few tips to eliminate and prevent critters from making a home in your roof.
- Trim the trees: Trim your trees back away from the house. Branches make perfect walkways from a tree to your roof. Without easy access, critters may find somewhere else to go.
- Set traps: If you already suspect that small animals are already living in your roof, set a few traps. These are effective at eliminating animals when placed in areas where they have already been seen.
- Keep food away: Garbage attracts critters, so make sure bags are tied up and bins are secured. Your pets’ dishes can also bring attention to the yard so keep them inaccessible by covering them when not in use.
- Renovate gaps: Regularly check your roof for gaps and holes. Patch up any that you find as these small openings are the perfect invitation for little critters.
- Schedule inspections: To get the best from your roof, you should be scheduling regular inspections. The contractor can also identify areas where animals can get in. They will also tell you if any have already moved into the roof. A professional roofer will seal up holes for you to keep animals away and keep your roof safe.
Following these simple steps is the best way to make your roof a no-go zone for animals. Always give us a call if you have any questions or need assistance in dealing with animals in your roof.