When people see a leak, their first reaction is to head to Home Depot and grab some coating. Not the best idea. Roof coatings are great for many reasons, but they will not stop leaks. When you see a leak, you need to call a professional.
What is Roof Coating?
Roof coating helps to fill in small gaps in the roof where water may seep through. It will not stop the leak, and if water gets into the roofing system it can cause a lot of damage. So why use coating? When a roof is built it is like a big puzzle. As the pieces are put together, a roof coating is used to create a watertight seal between each piece. This only works if it is handled by an expert professional roofer.
Roof Coating Pros
Roof coatings have the following advantages:
- Keep Away Debris – They help to protect the roofing from deterioration. As a barrier, roof coatings keep out moisture, dust, and wind. They can even keep insects and other creatures from getting into gaps in the roof. Once there is any gap in roofing, anything can get in, so it is important to have a coating applied by professionals.
- Keep Out Water – Water is the most hazardous thing to get into a roof. It only takes a small amount to cause a lot of damage. One small drop can steadily wear away at the seam, making it bigger and bigger, Eventually, more water can get into the roof, causing damage. With roof coating you get some protection against this, as it fills up the gaps in the roofing, filling every small pore and leaving no room for water.
- Extend Roof Lifespan – By preventing water, and other things, from getting into your roof, coatings can help extend the life of your roof. Everyday wear and tear will still happen, but the roofing will not deteriorate as quickly with roof coating in place. Of course, this only works if the roofing is also properly maintained. This means checking the seams regularly and repairing or replacing coating as needed to maintain a watertight seal.
- Reduce Energy Use – 25% of heat transfer occurs through the roof and this adds up over time. When you have an airtight coating in place, less heat can escape. A thermal envelope is created in the roof which reduces energy use and indoor temperatures can be maintained for less cost.
- Raise Property Value – Roof coatings increases a building’s curb appeal. Along with curb appeal comes increased value, and a maintained, coated roof is a sign of value. This increases your property value and investment.
- Lower Maintenance Costs – When properly installed, a roof coating prevents serious damage to a roof. This means less daily wear and less maintenance. With regular inspections to verify the seal is still airtight and watertight, a coating can keep maintenance costs down over time.
How To Stop A Roof Leak
Roof coatings will help prevent leaking when properly applied but should water get in, the leak is already started, and applying a coating at that point will not help. Some building owners try silicone roof sheets to stop leaks or metal roofing sheets with folds at the end known as weathering roof sheets. For the best way to stop leaks, we recommend speaking with a professional roofing contractor.
Why Hire An Expert Contractor
When you work with an experienced roofing contractor, you can be assured of top quality work. They will have a solid track record and be well-known for professionalism and quality. Hire a contractor that is both licensed and insured, as well as one that has the experience and knowledge of all roofing styles and preventing leaks. Your roofing is an investment and the best way to protect this is by investing in a professional contractor with years of trusted experience. Whether it is preventing leaks or stopping a sudden leak, our professional team has got you covered.